Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

18 / 35

Massarosa

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 18.897

The territory of Massarosa in the Versilia, extends for an area of 68,59 square kilometres between the lake of Massaciuccoli and the extreme offshoot of the Alpi Apuane, occupying hilly areas as well as the plains of the foothills. Its present day extension goes back to 1869 when it was constituted in autonomous municipality with twelve districts, detached from the municipality of Viareggio.

The Canons of the Cathedral of Lucca, in the interests of King Ugo and his son Lotario, exercised their power over “Curtis Massarosa” called “Castrum” after the year 1,000. Occupied by the Marquis Pelavicino, Captain General for Lucca in the Garfagnana, Versilia and Lunigiana, the castle was given back, in 1242, to their legitimate Lords thanks to the mediation of Pandolfo Fasanella, representing Emperor Federico II. A few decades later, towards 1270, the Canons had to come to a compromise with that part of the township which, until the XII century had given life to community institutions: according to this compromise, the Canons were to be named as Podesta, Chamberlain and other officials, while the community was given the assignments of police and reserve forces, but still with the possibility to appeal to the Podesta, on the basis of the jurisdiction. After the Podesta’s period the Canons continued to hold the Lordship power through the commissioner, until nearly the end of the XVII century. During the liberation struggles the area between Massaciuccoli and the town of Santa Maria a Colle sul Serchio was the theatre of numerous attacks by certain divisions of the SS.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit