Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

20 / 35

Molazzana

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.257

The Molazzana territory in the Garfagnana extends for 31,63 square kilometres on the right hand slope of the middle Valle del Serchio, dominated by the Alpi Apuane, above its convergence with the Turrite di Gallicano.

Cited for the first time in 1105, the capital was originally subjected to the Porcaresi who exercised their jurisdiction over the vast highlands of Gallicano, to which Molazzana also belonged. It then passed to Lucca and in 1430 to the Estensi, to whom it was confirmed in 1451 by a ruling of Niccolò V. On that occasion, Molazzana was inserted into the new Vicariate of Trassilico. It was under the dominion of the Fiorentini during the Pontificate of Leone X, at whose death it returned definitely to the Estensi. Assigned to the province of Massa in 1860, it became part of the province of Lucca in 1923.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489