Inhabitants in 1991: 1.257
Molazzana territory in the Garfagnana extends for 31,63 square kilometres
on the right hand slope of the middle Valle del Serchio, dominated by
the Alpi Apuane, above its convergence with the Turrite di Gallicano.
Cited for the first time in 1105, the capital was originally
subjected to the Porcaresi who exercised their jurisdiction over the vast
highlands of Gallicano, to which Molazzana also belonged. It then passed
to Lucca and in 1430 to the Estensi, to whom it was confirmed in 1451
by a ruling of Niccolò V. On that occasion, Molazzana was inserted
into the new Vicariate of Trassilico. It was under the dominion of
the Fiorentini during the Pontificate of Leone X, at whose death it
returned definitely to the Estensi. Assigned to the province of Massa
in 1860, it became part of the province of Lucca in 1923.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford