Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

4 / 7

Montemurlo

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 17.164

The municipal territory of Montemurlo extends for 30,66 square kilometres, in hills and plains in the Valle dell’Ombrone. Feudal land and then Podesta office, it reached its present day municipal aspect in 1775, when it was proclaimed Seat of the community by Pietro Leopoldo.

Situated where there had been a habitation since the Etruscan times, the Montemurlo castle was possessed by the Guidi Counts in the Medieval, who were Lords documented from the beginning of the XII century; after this Pistoia was proprietor for a short time in 1203 considering it part of their own county, it became progressively under the possession of Firenze. In 1254 the Fiorentini managed to complete their intention by acquiring half of the castle from two descendents of the ancient Lords Guido Guerra VI and Guido da Porciano for 5,000 florins (it seems that the first half had already been acquired in 1209) and sent a Podesta and Castilian to reside there.

Fame was confirmed to Montemurlo in 1324 when Castruccio Castacani had to besiege it for a long period before managing to conquer it and again in 1537 when Baccio Valori and Filippo Strozzi in favour of the Fiorentino republic party, shut themselves in, surrounded by a strong contingent of soldiers hoping to be able to beat the Lords of Cosimo I dei Medici. But the attempt had an inauspicious end, since the Medicea troops with an unexpected night time raid overwhelmed the rebels. Montemurlo was then deprived of its Podesta office dependent first on the Montale Podesta and then that of Prato, while the fort was acquired by the Fiorentino family dei Nerli, who transformed it into a villa. In the last thirty years the municipality has been distinguished for a building and industrial development among the most extensive in the Pratese area. Enlarging its township into the plains.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489