Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

25 / 39

Monterchi

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 1,913

The Municipal territory of Monterchi occupied for a good half by coppice woods, chestnut trees and grasslands extends for 28,73 square kilometres of the Val Tiberina. Stationed along the road which travels to Umbria and crosses the Apennines in the Marche it was a feudal centre, joined to the province of Perugia in 1927, the community became part of the province of Arezzo in 1939.

Mentioned for the first time in a deed of donation in 1095, Monterchi was a feudal to the Marquis del Monte Santa Maria, who in 1194 surrendered it in trust to the community of Arezzo together with all the plebeian of Sant’Antimo in Val Tiberina of which Monterchi was a part ; it remained with the Del Monte until during the first decade of the XIV century the Arezzo Bishop Guido Tarlati took possession of it with his brother Pier Saccone. The dominion of the Tarlati family lasted until 1440, when in consequence to the Fiorentina victory at Anghiari, the last regent, who had allied himself with the Visconti., was deposed and Monterchi became part of the Fiorentino State. A few years later (perhaps in 1460) in memory of this mother who was born at Monterchi, Piero della Francesca completed the admirable fresco of the Madonna del Parto, which became the object of singular veneration. The town suffered a ruinous earthquake in 1917.

Places to Visit :
S. Maria in Momentana, the chapel in which the above mentioned fresco was realised around 1460.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489