Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

18 / 36

Monteroni d’Arbia

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 6.493

The municipal territory of Monteroni extends for 105,75 square kilometres in the Val d’Arbia on the low heights which follow the river and in little valleys formed by the river Sorra. The community has origins in 1810 with its detachment from Buonconvento.

In the middle of the 1200s Monteroni was a modest village of the Siena county and its development is tied to the patrimonial expansion of the hospital of Santa Maria della Scala di Siena, which bought the land in that area: first nucleus of Monteroni grew around the fortified mill which the hospital had built at the beginning of the 1300s.

In 1382 it was included in the Vicariate of Lucignano d’Arbia but its request to be constituted in autonomous Vicariate was not accepted. In 1554 it was attacked and conquered by the Imperial troops passing thus under the Fiorentino dominion. Of notable interest is the fortified farm (grancia) at Cuna, with Medieval buildings perfectly conserved.

Places to visit:
The Mill, fortified being part of the Cuna Farm.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489