Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

21 / 39

Montescudaio

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.367

Situated in Val di Cecina, the municipal territory of Montescudaio extends for 19,91 square kilometres from the summit of a hill until the start of the coastal plain. It was constituted in autonomous community from the end of the 1400s. The first nucleus of Montescudaio was formed around a monastery of Benedictine Nuns, founded in 1091 by Count Gherardo della Gherardesca. It was put under the political dominion of the republic of Pisa, who several time entrusted the Maremma Vicariate to exponents of that lineage, the castle had a notable strategic importance for its position on the summit of a hill and at the opening of the Gherardesca property. In 1340 it rebelled against Pisa allying itself to Luchino Visconti, but it was soon brought into line. In 1405 it made an act of subjugation to the Fiorentina republic, who left the Vicariate of their ancient dominion and all the Pisana Maremma to the della Gherardesca. During the contest between Firenze and the realm of Napoli Montescudaio was conquered in 1447 by King Alfonso di Aragona, with whom was allied Count Arrigo, and in 1478 by the Papal Guard troops and Napoli during the war which broke out between Pope Sisto IV and Ferdinando d’Arigona. Re-conquered by Firenze the following year, it was constituted in autonomous community of the Fiorentino State. In 1648 Ferdinando II conceded it in feudal with the title of Marquisate to Ferdinando Ridolfi with whose family it remained until the Unity of Italy. In the 1900s the coming of Fascism interrupted the administration of the socialists, who had acquired the majority in 1920.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489