Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

12 / 17

Mulazzo

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.632

The municipal territory of Mulazzo extends for 62,64 square kilometres in the high Lunigiana, in a mountainous zone, and precisely on a spur of Monte Cornoviglio. It had its origins as a centre of Lords.

From the XII century it was possessed by the minor branch of the Malaspina the so called dello Spino Secco, Mulazzo became capital in 1221 of a Lord area comprising the land to the left of the Magra. Franceschino Malaspina and his small but vivacious court were almost certainly hosts to the exile Dante Alighieri, who in the name of the Marquis negotiated with success the peace with the Bishop of Luni. His stay in the impressive natural scenery of the little centre must have prompted a deep fascination in the Fiorentino poet, of which we can recognise the echo in some Verses of the Divine Comedy. In 1406 the Marquis Azzone enlarged the territorial borders acquiring several concerns from Campogregoso di Sarzana; at his death however the inheritance was divided among his three sons and the dynastic events of the successive generations contributed to reduce even more the surface of the dominion, which in XVI century had by now gravitated decisively into the political orbit of Firenze. The last Marquis was Azzo Giacinto III a radical noble who received the Napoleonic army by raising the three coloured flag on the tower of the castle. The fate of the little State was however marked: included in the Cisalpina republic and then in the Italico Reign, in 1815 it was assigned to Maria Beatrice d’Este, who in her turn ceded it to her son Francesco IV di Modena, under whom it remained until 1859. During the last war, as all the Lunigiana municipalities, it saw tragic times and participated in the activities of their partisans in the struggle for Liberation.

Places to visit:
Il Torrione, or Dante’s Tower, that which remains of the Malaspina Fortress, were it seems perhaps the poet was a guest.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit