Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

24 / 39

Orciano Pisano

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 568

The municipal territory extends for 11,64 square kilometres on the crest which separates the basin of the river Fine and that of the river Tora and therefore is comprised of mostly hilly territory. Orciano is a municipality with Leopoldina origins.

In 1927 it was aggregated to Santa Luce, with whom it constituted the municipality of Santa Luce Orciano. It re-acquired autonomous administration in 1957. Medieval castle with the name of Ursiano, it was in 1323 still united to Scotriano. Placed under the civil and criminal jurisdiction of Lari, from whom it was detached in 1630 when with a certificate of Grad Duke Ferdinando II it was raised in feudal and conferred with the title of Marquisate to Roberto degli Obizzi from Padova. In 1783 it was constituted in autonomous community and subjected to the jurisdiction of Lari, it successively passed to the Vicariate of Rosignano. It added the denomination of “Pisano” in 1862.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489