Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

22 / 35

Pescaglia

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 3.762

The municipal territory of Pescaglia extends for 70,37 square kilometres on the eastern side of the Alpi Apuane, placed in a panoramic position on part of a spur which dominates the high valley flow of the river Pedogna. In 1962 the district of Motrone was detached from it, and aggregated to the municipality of Borgo a Mozzano.

Cited for the first time in a IX century document, Pescaglia was originally the Lordly dominion of the Soffredinghi. In 1272 it became the possession of Lucca under the consort of the Angelminelli and made part of the Coreglia Vicariate, until the end of the XVI century. It was later declared capital of the Vicariate (1602), in the Napoleonic period it changed its name to that of Cantone. In 1806 it suffered the first territorial modification with the ceding of three districts to the municipality of Camaiore; it was reorganised with nineteen districts in 1818, the community remained capital of the Vicariate until 1821 when it was assigned to Lucca while part of its territory was subdivided between the municipalities of Borgo a Mozzano and Camaiore. In 1837 Pescaglia was reconstituted in autonomous municipality, with sixteen districts. During the German occupation the partisan activity was extremely intense, the formations operating in the area were responsible for the liberation of large numbers of people from Camaiore rounded up and transported on the road of the Val Freddana which connects Lucca to the Aurelia.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489