Inhabitants in 1991: 3.762
municipal territory of Pescaglia extends for 70,37 square kilometres on
the eastern side of the Alpi Apuane, placed in a panoramic position
on part of a spur which dominates the high valley flow of the river Pedogna.
In 1962 the district of Motrone was detached from it, and aggregated to
the municipality of Borgo a Mozzano.
Cited for the first time in a IX century document, Pescaglia
was originally the Lordly dominion of the Soffredinghi. In 1272 it
became the possession of Lucca under the consort of the Angelminelli
and made part of the Coreglia Vicariate, until the end of the XVI century.
It was later declared capital of the Vicariate (1602), in the Napoleonic
period it changed its name to that of Cantone. In 1806 it suffered the
first territorial modification with the ceding of three districts to the
municipality of Camaiore; it was reorganised with nineteen districts in
1818, the community remained capital of the Vicariate until 1821 when
it was assigned to Lucca while part of its territory was subdivided between
the municipalities of Borgo a Mozzano and Camaiore. In 1837 Pescaglia
was reconstituted in autonomous municipality, with sixteen districts.
During the German occupation the partisan activity was extremely intense,
the formations operating in the area were responsible for the liberation
of large numbers of people from Camaiore rounded up and transported on
the road of the Val Freddana which connects Lucca to the Aurelia.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford