Inhabitants in 1991: 18.123
municipal territory of Pescia, in the western Valdinievole, extends for
79,14 square kilometres in the plains, hills and medium mountains. Medieval
community then Vicariate Seat it reached its present day aspect
in 1928 after having undergone numerous modifications: between 1883
and 1890 several districts were added, among which Collodi, taken from
the community of Vellano and Villa Basilica (Lucca); in 1895 Chiesina
Uzzanese was detached; in 1928 the municipality of Vellano was suppressed
and aggregated to Pescia. From 1851 to 1928 the municipality was part
of the Lucca province.
Pescia, perhaps of Roman origin, defined “vico” (village)
in certain documents of IX and X centuries, probably came about as
a market (its particular square is recorded as “long market”
from the XI century) under the jurisdiction of Lucca; it obtained
a form of autonomy at the end of the XII century and a consul government
and its own magistrates which were present in 1202 at the formation of
the tie with the communities of Uzzano and Vivinaia (today Montecarlo).
Pescia in 1237 became, for the will of Federico II the Seat of a large
Imperial Vicariate which went from the Val di Lima to Fucecchio. On
the Emperor’s death it returned under the protection of Lucca and
in 1281, after an attempted armed rebellion, was destroyed; in 1286 it
was rebuilt; after some ten or so years of submission to Lucca, at the
end of the Lordship of Castuccio Castracani, it was the major instigator
of the establishment of the League of the Communities of Valdinievole
(1328), which tightened an honourable alliance treaty with Firenze;
but the reiterated attempts to reconquer led by the new lords of Lucca
and the turbulence of the local Ghibellina group led by the Garzoni convinced
them in the end in 1339 to submit totally, together with other centres
to the Fiorentini, becoming a Vicariate Seat.
densely populated and industrious capital of the Valdinievole successfully
resisting more than once the armies which marched against Firenze (Francesco
Sforza in 1430, the Veneziani in 1496), but it was occupied in 1530
by the troops of Fabrizio Maramaldo whom Emperor Carlo V had enlisted
to restore the Medicea dynasty in Firenze. Being well known for “maximum
faith” to the Medici served in its favour in the following period,
it obtained title of city in 1699 from Cosimo III. and in 1726
the Episcopal seat from Pope Benedetto XIII requested by Gian Gastone
in honour of whom the people of Pescia in gratitude erected the Fiorentina
Gate which still stands today, To the Lorenese domination is owed the
construction of the hospital (1777) and the new bridge (1783), after
the Vienna Congress (1815) followed the annexation to the Duchy of Lucca
and finally the return to the Grand Duchy of Toscana in 1847, as soon
as Carlo Ludovico became Duke of Parma. It was a centre full of ideas
during the Risorgimento, hosting the historian Ginevrino Sismondi
and the Poet Giuseppe Giusti. Among the illustrious persons originating
from Pescia is Sant’Alluccio the monk who founded the hospices
in the XI century.
|Places to visit:
Porta Fiorentina, from 1732
it was erected in honour of Gian Gastone
an irregular elongated form, it is a vast space surrounded by important
building from various eras.
Palazzo Comunale, from the
XVII century it has been remodelled several time during the centuries.
Has a crenellated tower.
Vicar’s Palace, from XIII-XIV
century it is the municipal Seat.
built between the XII and XIII centuries. It is the Seat of the “Libero
Alderotti” gallery of plaster casts.
erected at the end of the 1500s, with a lavish Baroque façade,
Flower Market, constructed in 1951, shortly after it became
insufficient for the great development of the flower commerce, and
thus the New Flower Market was constructed in 1968 with an
area of 40,000 square metres.
The Cathedral, named for
S. Maria Assunta, it was constructed in 1693 in Baroque style, radically
modifying the ancient parish church of S. Maria. The single nave interior
preserves precious works of art from diverse eras.
from 1200s, this church in Gothic style is said to have been dedicated
to S. Francesco by Venanzio Orlandi. Over the centuries it has been
more than once remodelled and has an interior rich with works of art.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of
Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford