Inhabitants in 1991 : 4,599
The Municipal territory of Pian di Scò in the Valdarno Superiore,
extends for 18,43 square kilometres between hills and mountains, in a
thin strip which goes from valley bottom on the right of the Arno to the
crest of Pratomagno. It reached its present day municipal position
in 1809, when it became an autonomous community by separating itself
from the community of Castelfranco di Sopra.
In the first three centuries after the year 1000, Pian di Scò
was under the dominion of the feudal families Pazzi del Valdarno and
Ubertini ; with the construction of Castelfranco di Sopra,
“Terra Nuova” 1296, which the Fiorentini wanted
in order to weaken the power of these disorderly bands, the village of
Pian di Scò also became part of the Lega di Castelfranco
and was aggregated into the Fiorentina republic. The Parish
Church of Santa Maria at Scò was a centre of religious and
civil aggregation, whose existence is documented from the beginning of
the XI century.
|Places to Visit :
The above mentioned Parish Church.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford