Inhabitants in 1991: 8.489
municipal territory of Pieve a Nievole extends for 12,71 square kilometres
in plains and hills at the centre of the Valdinievole. Constituted
in autonomous municipality in 1905 with a district detached from the
community of Montecatini Val di Nievole, it underwent successive territorial
modifications in 1935 when an area was detached in favour of Montecatini
Terme and in 1940 with the aggregation of another district from Montecatini.
Of the original Medieval village, formed around the extremely
ancient parish church of San Pietro a Neure (which it seems was founded
in the VI century near to a Roman Pagus [village]) and situated on an
important stretch of the Via Cassia, there remains no trace: besieged
and destroyed in 1356 by the Ghibellini of Pisa, the present day capital
developed newly from the first half of the XVI century while the place
of worship was reconstructed in modern form in the middle of the 1800s.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford