Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

15 / 22

Pieve a Nievole

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 8.489

The municipal territory of Pieve a Nievole extends for 12,71 square kilometres in plains and hills at the centre of the Valdinievole. Constituted in autonomous municipality in 1905 with a district detached from the community of Montecatini Val di Nievole, it underwent successive territorial modifications in 1935 when an area was detached in favour of Montecatini Terme and in 1940 with the aggregation of another district from Montecatini.

Of the original Medieval village, formed around the extremely ancient parish church of San Pietro a Neure (which it seems was founded in the VI century near to a Roman Pagus [village]) and situated on an important stretch of the Via Cassia, there remains no trace: besieged and destroyed in 1356 by the Ghibellini of Pisa, the present day capital developed newly from the first half of the XVI century while the place of worship was reconstructed in modern form in the middle of the 1800s.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489