Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

25 / 35

Pieve Fosciana

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.440

The territory of Pieve Fosciana extends for 28,77 square kilometres, occupying for the most part the basin of Castelnuovo in Garfagnana, near the inflow of the river Castiglione with the Serchio, on the slopes of Monte Verrucchiella.

Mentioned for the fist time in a VIII century document, Pieve Fosciana belonged in the XII century to the Countess Matilde. Subjected then to a local family of Lords, it was conquered by Lucca in the middle of the 1200s, when for some time in the ambient of the region it was distinguished as an important religious centre and meeting point for commercial traffic. In 1430, with other neighbouring lands it was consigned to the Estensi. Four centuries later in coincidence with the rebellion captained by Ciro Menotti, a group of Liberals waved the three coloured flag over the parish town; the Duke of Modena, rapidly put down the revolt, and punished the community suppressing them from 1831 to 1836.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit