Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

28 / 39

Ponsacco

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 12.131

The municipal territory extends for 19,90 square kilometres in the Valdarno di Sotto, at the opening, in the plain, of the valley of the river Cascina, tributary of the Era, in a prevalently flat land and on the slopes of the nearby hills.

The first documented news regarding Ponsacco goes back to 1197, but for some long time the settlement must have had a modest growth, figuring above all as a “market” by the nearby ancient castles of Appiano and Camugliano. When both of these were destroyed one shortly after the other (Appiano in 1341 by the Fiorentine troops, Camugliano in 1345 by the Visconte) Ponsacco, who took in the majority of the inhabitants, became a fairly conspicuous centre and in the following years was walled. For centuries the Pisa republic had extended its jurisdiction over the whole of the area and when Firenze in 1406 incorporated the territory, Ponsacco also became part of the Fiorentino State. Two episodes of rebellion towards its new dominators marked the history of the 1400s: one in 1431 provoked by Niccolò Piccinino, and another in 1495 in consequence to the revolt by Pisa, but they were quickly put down.

In 1637 Grand Duke Ferdinando II conceded the community in feudal with the title of Marquisate, to the noble Filippo Niccolini, to whose family it remained until almost the end of the 1700s; suppressed under the feudal jurisdiction, it returned under the direct dominion of the Grand Duchy, and shared their fate until the Unity of Italy.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489