Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

17 / 22

Ponte Buggianese

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 7.274

The municipal territory of Ponte Buggianese extends for 29,47 square kilometres in the plains of the Valdinievole, at the northern margins of the Fucecchio marshes. It was an autonomous municipality from 1883 when it was detached from Buggiano.

The history of Ponte Buggianese is fairly recent, the area, marshy and malarial, was in fact drained by Pietro Leopoldo only in the second half of the XVIII century. The village, on the edge of the ancient marsh, began to appear inhabited around 1745.

Places to visit:
S. Michele Arcangelo, 1600s church radically transformed. The interior is frescoed by Pietro Annigoni.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489