Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

26 / 35

Porcari

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 6.827

The municipal territory of Porcari extends for an area of 17,88 square kilometres in the plain to the north of the dried up Lake Bientina. It reached its present day aspect in 1913 when detached from the municipality of Capannori it was constituted in autonomous municipality.

Until the first years of the XI century Porcari was dominated by the powerful families of Poggi and Porcaresi and, from 1045 by a descended of the Fraolmo, Sirico di Donnuccio declared Lord of half the castle. It came under the power of Luca in 1209, the territory resulted from the 1308 statute, included in the suburbs of Lucca and divided in the two municipalities of Castello and Borgo. Included though in the Vicariate of Valleriana, with capital Villa Basilica, successively being part of the Sei Miglia commissariat.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489