Inhabitants in 1991: 6.827
municipal territory of Porcari extends for an area of 17,88 square kilometres
in the plain to the north of the dried up Lake Bientina. It reached its
present day aspect in 1913 when detached from the municipality
of Capannori it was constituted in autonomous municipality.
Until the first years of the XI century Porcari was dominated by the
powerful families of Poggi and Porcaresi and, from 1045 by a descended
of the Fraolmo, Sirico di Donnuccio declared Lord of half the castle.
It came under the power of Luca in 1209, the territory resulted
from the 1308 statute, included in the suburbs of Lucca and divided
in the two municipalities of Castello and Borgo. Included though in the
Vicariate of Valleriana, with capital Villa Basilica, successively being
part of the Sei Miglia commissariat.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford