Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

24 / 36

Radda in Chianti

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.633

The municipal territory of Radda in Chianti extends for 80,56 square kilometres on the hills of the high valley of the rivers Pesa and Arbia. Feudal centre, then Medieval Podesta office from the XIII century, it reached its present day aspect with the Leopoldina reforms of 1774.

Radda was recorded for the first time with certainty in a diploma of Ottone III from 1003 when its Court and castle were possessed by the Fiorentina Abbey to whom they had been donated by the Marquis di Toscana, and to whom it was confirmed by the Imperial authority, and thus it happened also several times in the following decade either with an act of succession by Ottone or with a series of Pontiff Stamps. It became feudal of the Guidi Counts in 1220 ordered by Federico II, towards the middle of the XIII century (even if the precise date is not known), for its fundamental strategic importance Firenze affirmed its dominion there, who from 1176 had jurisdiction over the greater part of Southern Chianti previously belonging to Siena.

Firenze put Radda at the head of one of the three Thirds in which the Chianti League was administratively divided and at least starting from 1384 it became capital of the same League, as is shown by the oldest conservative statutes. In the middle of the 1300s on the orders of the Fiorentino government the wall of the castle were re-enforced and new fortifications were needed after the Aragonese invasion in 1478, during which the Radda castle was conquered and devastated. Other periods of mobilisation had to be lived through in the first half of the 1500s, until the fall of the Siena republic; from then on their fate was one of an active agricultural centre.

Places to visit:
S. Maria al Prato, Francescano Convent of XI century, which was restructured in 1600. Hosts precious works of art.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit