Inhabitants in 1991: 1.032
municipal territory of Radicondoli extends for 133,53 square kilometres
on the Metalliferous hills between the Val d’Elsa and the Val de
Cecina. Feudal centre then Podesta office it reached its present day
aspect in 1777 when its community, which was instituted in 1774, was
aggregated to that of Belforte.
The first news of the Radicondoli castle was at the beginning of the
1200s, it seems that it was constructed (or perhaps reconstructed) between
1209 and 1213, while its parish church was recorded since the X century.
In 1216 it appeared as feudal to the Aldobrandeschi, who on the
basis of the convention stipulated in 1221 with Siena consigned the castles
of Radicondoli and Belforte to that city’s officials; but as the
Counts had not respected the pact, in 1230, Siena claimed possession.
It returned to the Aldobrandeschi Lords, who made a pact not to cede it
without the permission of Siena, Radicondoli, was occupied by the exiling
Guelfi and then reconquered by Provenzano Salvani in 1268. With the definitive
subjugation of the Aldobrandeschi fife between 1299 and 1301, Siena took
Radicondoli also into its dominion and it remained from then on in the
republic’s dominion. After the conquest of the Siena territory by
the Medici (1554) the walls and towers of the castle were knocked
down. Today only one tower and little trace of the wall remain.
|Places to visit:
Collegiate, 1500s construction. The bell tower was erected
on the ruins of an ancient tower.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford