Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

15 / 20

Rio Marina

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.043

The municipal territory extends for 19.54 square kilometres on the eastern coastal tract of Elba facing the Follonica gulf, the island of Palmaiola also belongs to it. The municipality was constituted in 1882, detaching itself from Rio nell’Elba.

The capital’s history, whose name originally was Marina di Rio, was obviously tied to that of the municipality to which it belonged, inhabited from prehistoric times, and again in the Etruscan and Roman eras (when the mineral resources had been already noted), it then saw the usual changes of government, the dominion of Pisa and that of the Appiani, the brief reign of Napoleon and the Grand Duchy. After 8 September 1943 there was even a small partisan nucleus on this territory which mostly operated autonomously.

Places to visit:
The Tower, 1500 polygon construction, overbuilt in 1882 overlooking the town.
Museum of the Minerals of Elba and the Mineralogical Museum “Alfeo Ricci”

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489