Inhabitants in 1991: 886
municipal territory extends for 16,78 square kilometres on the crest of
the north eastern coast of Elba and the little island of Cerboli
also forms part of it. In 1882 the district of Rio Marina was detached
from it and constituted in autonomous municipality.
Rio nell’Elba is perhaps one of the oldest centres on the island.
The first record of it goes back to the Etruscans who exploited the
iron deposits. Castle of some strategic importance, constructed by Pisa
in the XI century, it became part of the Lordly State of the Appiani
di Piombino in 1399, where they remained, with alternating and sometimes
dramatic episodes (in 1534 the town was completely destroyed by the
pirate Barbarossa) until the French domination (1801). In 1815, in
consequence of the Vienna congress decision it was annexed to the Toscana
Grand Duchy who maintained it until the Unity of Italy.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford