Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

30 / 39

Riparbella

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.318

The municipal territory extends for 58,84 square kilometres in the low Val di Cecina, on the extreme spur of the Pisane Hills, in an area of medium and low hills. It was originally the land of Lords, Riparbella became autonomous community in 1755; it suffered territorial reduction in 1892 when the district of Palazzi di Collemezzano was aggregated to the municipality of Cecina.

Situated in a marshy and unhealthy zone formed by the river Cecina, Riparbella passed in 1157, by successive donations by the laity and Ecclesiastics, under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Pisa. There arose a contestation with the municipality of Volterra, who had gained the rights over the castle, in 1199 it was definitively assigned to the Pisa Episcopate to whom it was reconfirmed in 1293 with the peace of Fucecchio. In 1406 a few months before the fall of Pisa, Riparbella became part of the dominion of the Firenze republic, from whom it was taken for a short while by the Napoletano army of Alfonso d’Aragona in 1447. In 1494 on the occasion of the arrival of Carlo VIII in Italy and upon the solicitation of Pisa, it rebelled against the Fiorentino dominion, maintaining itself autonomous until 1508 when it was again subjected to commissioners sent by Firenze. In 1635 it was raised to Marquisate by the Grand Duke Ferdinando II and conceded in feudal to the noble Andrea Carlotti from Verona: in 1737 his successors sold it to the Fiorentino Carlo Ginori, under whom it remained until the Leopoldine reforms which transformed it into autonomous community.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489