Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

17 / 20

Rosignano Marittimo

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 30.021

The municipal territory extends for 120,82 square kilometres on a hilly crest and on part of the underlying plain. It became autonomous municipality in 1832 under the Grand Duke Leopoldo II di Lorena, In 1910 it was aggregated the district of Gabbro, detached from the municipality of Collesalvetti.

According to the oldest documentation going back to the VIII century, the church of Lucca exercised its jurisdiction over the capital, but already in the year one thousand it traced the role of two other concurrent forces: the family of the Counts della Gherardesca and the Archbishop of Pisa, behind whom the municipality’s citizens reacted. Given autonomous municipal institution in the XII century, which was expressed in the figure of Consul, the community gradually endured the affirmation of the Pisa republic’s domination, under which they remained until 1406, when they became part of the Fiorentino State. Following Toscana events it passed under the French dominion and returned to the Grand Duchy in 1815.

Rosignano was aggregated to the Livorno province in 1925. During all the fascist period and the German occupation, which given its strategic position, made it the Seat of a Kommandantur, it developed a strong clandestine opposition, above all in the workers zone, which was cemented in the formation of the “III Brigata Garibaldi Val di Cecina”, operating in the hinterland, and in the activity of the antifascist parties of the CLN. On 8 September 1843 the partisan formation spearheaded an attack, which failed, against the enemy posts, meeting with concrete solidarity from the population, who came in at their side. The liberation of Rosignano, came on 12 July 1944, the allies called it the “battle of little Cassino” for the length and bitterness of the fighting.

Places to visit:
Castiglioncello is the most popular summer resort on the Livorno coastline; it's a pleasant town and the Castello Pasquini hosts many cultural events and shows.
Nearby, slightly inland, there is Rosignano Solvay, home to the Solvay factory that produces caustic soda, carbonate, and bicarbonate of soda. There is also a beach resort with a long beach edged with low rocks.
The Castilian nucleus and the surrounding walls
, which still preserve two circular 1500s towers.
The Civic Archaeological Museum, exhibition of the finds from the valley of the river Cecina.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489