Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

28 / 36

San Casciano dei Bagni

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.977

The municipal territory of San Casciano dei Bagni extends for 91,86 square kilometres on the southern spur of Monte Cetona. Feudal centre, it became Seat of Community in 1777 with the inclusion of Celle and Fighine.

In the X and XI centuries San Casciano was a Court with a parish church (la durtis de Bagno) Lordly possession of the Abbey of San Salvatore al Monte Amiata, to whom it was donated by Marquis Ugo di Toscana and confirmed by the Monarchs Ottone III and Enrico II. The name of San Casciano is met for the first time in 1081. From the middle of the XII century the castle passed under the Lordship of the Visconti di Camopiglia d’Orcia family, but soon the possession of the territory began to clash with the interests of Siena and Orvieto, until after a first period of Orvieto supremacy, at the end of the 1300s San Casciano was given in partnership to the Siena republic renewing the loyalty pacts during the XV century. Put under conflict by Vitellozzo Vitelli in 1495, in 1559 it became definitive part of the Mediceo State.

San Casciano Bagni is the southernmost comune in the Val di Chiana, on the border with Lazio and Umbria. Its most distinctive feature is its thermal springs (the third-largest capacity in Europe), and the town was established in order to exploit the waters, known in the Roman period as the "Bagni chiusini". When the town was consecrated in the name of San Cassiano, they became known as the "Terme Cassianesi".
The old town is still well-preserved, because the modern part has been built further south, on the road towards the thermal baths. The tourist potential of this extremely attractive town is currently being developed with the construction of a new thermal complex and the opening of a charming hotel in the ancient town centre.

Places to visit:
S. Casciano, Medieval collegiate, which holds in the interior an altar piece from 1490.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford
Picture by Gianfranco Bracci

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit