Inhabitants in 1991: 1.977
municipal territory of San Casciano dei Bagni extends for 91,86 square
kilometres on the southern spur of Monte Cetona. Feudal centre, it
became Seat of Community in 1777 with the inclusion of Celle and Fighine.
In the X and XI centuries San Casciano was a Court with a parish
church (la durtis de Bagno) Lordly possession of the Abbey of San Salvatore
al Monte Amiata, to whom it was donated by Marquis Ugo di Toscana
and confirmed by the Monarchs Ottone III and Enrico II. The name of San
Casciano is met for the first time in 1081. From the middle of
the XII century the castle passed under the Lordship of the Visconti di
Camopiglia d’Orcia family, but soon the possession of the territory
began to clash with the interests of Siena and Orvieto, until after a
first period of Orvieto supremacy, at the end of the 1300s San Casciano
was given in partnership to the Siena republic renewing the loyalty
pacts during the XV century. Put under conflict by Vitellozzo Vitelli
in 1495, in 1559 it became definitive part of the Mediceo State.
San Casciano Bagni is the southernmost comune in the Val di Chiana,
on the border with Lazio and Umbria. Its most distinctive feature is its
thermal springs (the third-largest capacity in Europe), and the
town was established in order to exploit the waters, known in the Roman
period as the "Bagni chiusini". When the town was consecrated in
the name of San Cassiano, they became known as the "Terme Cassianesi".
The old town is still well-preserved, because the modern part has
been built further south, on the road towards the thermal baths. The tourist
potential of this extremely attractive town is currently being developed
with the construction of a new thermal complex and the opening
of a charming hotel in the ancient town centre.
|Places to visit:
S. Casciano, Medieval collegiate, which holds in the interior
an altar piece from 1490.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of
Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e
Translated by Ann Mountford
Picture by Gianfranco Bracci