Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

20 / 22

San Marcello Pistoiese

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 7.698

The municipal territory of San Marcello Pistoiese, in the high Val di Lima, extends for 84.75 square kilometres from the crest of the Tosco-Emiliano Appennino (Corno alle Scale) to the plains of the valley dug out by the river Limestre. Feudal centre, then free municipality, then Seat of Captaincy of the Mountain (alternating with Cutigliano), constituted in community with the Leopoldine reforms, it reached its present day aspect in 1979 with the detachment of an uninhabited area aggregated to Cutigliano.

The origins of the major centre, demonstrated by the finding of a burial ground of the Imperial era, goes back to Roman times. Conceded by Arrigo VI in feudal to Count Guido Guerra in 1191 and confirmed to him with the definition of fortified court, by two Imperial certificates by Federico II in the first half of the 1200s; it became free municipality of explicit Ghibelline tendency, welcoming firstly the outgoing Pistoiesi captained by Arrigo Tedici (1293) and subsequently the militia of Castuccio Castracani (1323). Strongly involved in the encounters during the XIV century between the Pistoiesi camps of Cancellieri and Panciatichi, it became, with the confirmation of the latter, the Seat of the Captaincy of the Mountain, the new magistrature wanted by Pistoia in 1368 (which alternately resided for six months of the year also a Cutigliano). Occupied subsequently by the Cancellieri with the help of the Visconti troops (1400), after the definitive submission to Pistoia and its county (1401) it entered under the protection of Firenze. The district of Gavinana is tied to the memory of the celebrated episode of the death of Francesco Ferrucci, General Commissioner of War of the Fiorentina republic, killed in 1530 by Maramaldo, head of the Imperial militia of Carlo V.

Places to visit:
S. Marcello, XII century church, the interior remodelled in XVIII century hosts precious works of art.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit