Inhabitants in 1991: 4.681
Scansano territory extends for 273.57 square kilometres in the Grosseto
Maremma, on a mountainous crest which constitutes the watershed between
the rivers Ombrone to the north and Albegna to the south. A castle
of the Aldobrandesca county, in 1615 raised to autonomous community by
Cosimo II dei Medici, from 1787 following the Leopoldina reform, it assumed
its present day dimensions incorporating Montorgiali, Cotone, Montepò,
Poggioferro, Murci and Pomonte.
Scansano is mentioned in 1274 in the act of division of the Aldobrandesca
county between the two branches of the family the Counts of Sovana and
the Counts of Santa Fiora: the castle and its districts were assigned
to the latter. The ridge on which Scansano is situated had represented
for a long time a natural demarcation line which in the exhausting
struggle between Siena and the Aldobrandeschi determined diverse things
for the lands positioned on the two slopes. The northern zone which had,
in Montorgiali, a centre of major importance, the seat of a small county
which comprised also Cotone and the Montepò castle, from 1379
became part of the Siena republic; Scansano, Murci, Poggioferro and
all the Southern slopes which had known numerous settlements from the
V century B.C. to the late Roman period, instead linked their rise to
the events of the county of Aldobrandesca of Santa Fiora. This huge aggregated
territory, which in 1439 passed, by lineage, under the dominion of
the Sforza conserved its independence until it was constituted to
the Grand Duchy of Toscana, and formed until that moment a defensive wedge
from Santa Fiora to Scansano, among the possessions of the Siena republic
and the little county born from the undoing of the Aldobrandesco dominion.
In modern times it became one of the most notable villages of the Maremma,
Scansano acquired particular importance in the 1800s as Seat of
the summer residence of the Grosseto bureaucracy. In the first years of
the 1900s a strong workers movement developed which conducted its struggle
until the advent of Fascism and regained vigour after the Liberation.
Theatre of partisan operations during the Resistance, Scansano was the
birth place of Spartaco Lavagnini, railway man and union organiser,
assassinated by the fascists at Firenze 27 February 1921.
|Places to visit:
S. Giovanni Battista, church
constructed on a preceding 1300s building, it was completely restructured
in XVIII century.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford