Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

21 / 22

Serravalle Pistoiese

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 8.754

The municipal territory of Serravalle Pistoiese extends for 42,11 square kilometres in plains and hills between the Valdinievole and the Valle dell’Ombrone. Feudal centre then Seat of Podesta office.

The Serravalle castle an ancient Longobardo fortified settlement and then probably feudal to the Guidi Counts, was mentioned in the documents towards the middle of the XII century when it was already found in the political orbit of Pistoia and attempted to rebel against them by allying themselves secretly with Lucca. At war with the nearby neighbours during the course of the 1200s, there was at the beginning of the following century a long contest for its strategic position which allowed it to control the access between the Valle dell’Ombrone and the Valdinievole, by the Fiorentini, Lucchesi (who conquered it in 1302 with Moroello Malaspina constructing the “new” fort) and the Pistoiese, reconquered by Pistoia, it passed then under the Lordship of Castruccio Castracanni and then under the direct control of Firenze at the moment of peace between them and Pisotia (1329). Returned to Pistoia at the exile of the Duke d’Atene (1343), Serravalle in 1351 definitively became part of the Fiorentina republic.

Places to visit:
New Fort, a high hexagonal tower in Travertino stone from 1318, with some remains of the surrounding walls
S. Stefano, church founded in XIII century and modified in 1600. The interior is rich with works of art. It has a 1200 tower as its bell tower.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489