Inhabitants in 1991: 3.053
in Maremma, the municipal territory extends for 92,95 square kilometres
in the hinterland of the Follonica gulf on hilly and flat land.
Autonomous community from the XIII century, it became part of the
Livorno province in 1925.
Possession of the grand family of Counts the Aldobrandeschi probably
from the second half of the IX century, Suvereto appears in XIII century
distinguished by the presence of municipal institutions, with statutes,
officers and councillors of its own.
In 1237, in the church near the castle, a public deed of alliance was
drawn up with the municipal and the nobles of the Pisa Ghibellina, and
in the following century the community passed under the political dominion
of the Tyrrhenian republic.
1399, Captain General Gherardio d’Appiano sold Pisa to the Duke
of Milano, Suvereto entered into the Principality of Piombino and shared
its fate until the beginning of the XIX century; then, with the end of
the French domination it was aggregated to the Grand Duchy.
|Places to visit:
The surrounding walls, from the
Medieval period, still well preserved.
S. Giusto, ancient
Romanic church from 1189.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of
Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford