Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

20 / 20

Suvereto

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 3.053

Situated in Maremma, the municipal territory extends for 92,95 square kilometres in the hinterland of the Follonica gulf on hilly and flat land. Autonomous community from the XIII century, it became part of the Livorno province in 1925.

Possession of the grand family of Counts the Aldobrandeschi probably from the second half of the IX century, Suvereto appears in XIII century distinguished by the presence of municipal institutions, with statutes, officers and councillors of its own.

In 1237, in the church near the castle, a public deed of alliance was drawn up with the municipal and the nobles of the Pisa Ghibellina, and in the following century the community passed under the political dominion of the Tyrrhenian republic.

In 1399, Captain General Gherardio d’Appiano sold Pisa to the Duke of Milano, Suvereto entered into the Principality of Piombino and shared its fate until the beginning of the XIX century; then, with the end of the French domination it was aggregated to the Grand Duchy.

Places to visit:
The surrounding walls, from the Medieval period, still well preserved.
S. Giusto, ancient Romanic church from 1189.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489