Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

36 / 39

Terricciola

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 3.815

Situated between the Valleys dell’Era, del Cascina and limited to the south by the river Sterza, the municipal territory extends for 43,43 square kilometres in an area prevalently of low hills.

It became autonomous community with the Leopoldine reforms. Castle with a fort and a village, it seems to have had its origin from the nearby Castelvecchio, where still today exists an oratorio annexed in 1244 to Terricciola. The Bishop Ranieri di Volterra exercised his jurisdiction there (this account is not certain) but renounced it in 1284 in favour of the municipal of Firenze to whom the inhabitants swore their allegiance. Shortly after however Terricciola and other castles of the Val d’Era passed under the dominion of Pisa who retained them until its capitulation in 1406. Towards the middle of the XV century it received all the privileges of the abandoned parish church of the castle of Pava (or Pieve a Pitti) destroyed, seemingly by the Fiorentini in 1430. From then on the parish of Terricciola was called Pievano (parish) di Pava, Terriciola and Castelvecchio, with a unification which is found mentioned on the occasion of the visit of the Bishop of Volterra to Val d’Era in 1576.

Taken from the Fiorentini in 1496 during the rebellion of Pisa, the castle was reconquered shortly after, and followed the successive affairs of the dominion of Firenze. Terricciola is the birthplace of Tommaso Gherardi Del Testa (1818-1881) the playwright.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489