Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

37 / 39

Vecchiano

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 10.410

Situated in the Pisana plain on the right of the river Serchio, the municipal territory of Vecchiano extends for 67,27 square kilometres comprising also the pinewood of Migliarino and a strip of coastline. It became autonomous municipality in 1810 detaching itself, with four other districts from San Giuliano.

Inhabited from the remotest time, as attests various archaeological finds, Vecchiano is recorded for the first time in a document from 762. Before the year one thousand, it seems it was a land with two churches and relative possessions, derived from private donations and those of the Bishop of Lucca. Placed under the government of the Pisa republic which made it a castle on the borders with the Lucca territory, it was repeatedly the theatre of military action and of armed encounters between Pisa and Lucca, who were contending the dominion. In 1345 it was besieged and damaged by the troops of Luchino Visconti, and from this episode it seems arose the destruction of the surrounding walls and, at least in part, of the watch tower, some ten years or so later re-adapted as bell tower. It remained under the dominion of Pisa until the defeat of that city by the Fiorentino army, in 1406. From that date it followed the affairs of Firenze until the Unity of Italy.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489