Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

32 / 35

Vergemoli

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 463

The Vergemoli territory extends for 27,30 square kilometres on the Apuana slopes of the Garfagnana. The centre is situated on a spur which forks from the Pania della Croce on the left side of the Impervia valley through which runs the river Turrite di Gallicano. It became autonomous community in 1801 detaching itself from Trassilico.

Vergemoli cited for the first time in an ecclesiastic document from Lucca in the X century, when, with Trassilico and other towns, it was included in the Piviere of Gallicano, it was possessed by the Lords dei Porcaresi until the XIII century. It followed the successive general fate of the Garfagnana, first with Lucca, from 1451 with the Estensi.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489