Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

43 / 43

Vinci

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 13.747

The municipal territory of Vinci extends for 54,42 square kilometres on the lower slopes of Monte Albano, in a hilly zone. Medieval Podesta Office (but until the XV century the municipalities of Collegonzi and Vitolini were distinct from Vinci), in 1774 it was incorporated by Cerreto Guidi and only in 1860 was it reconstituted in autonomous community. From 1954 on the occasion of the celebration of the five hundredth anniversary of the birth of Leonardo, Vinci was decreed a city.

There is no note of the Vinci territory before the year 1000. Castle, property of the Guidi Counts, it became part of the Fiorentino county in two phases, in 1255 and in 1273, when all the various branches of the powerful family decided to transfer all their possessions in Valdarno Inferiore to Firenze. The population of Vinci rebelled against the Fiorentino dominion, in 1315, after the victory of Uguccione della Faggiola at Montecatini, managing then (even though the following year the star himself waned) to maintain for some time their own independence under Lord Binduccio degli Adimari, a flourishing Fiorentino. But it was only a brief period: Adimari made a pact with Firenze and again ceded the castle for money. Subsequently Vinci distinguished itself in the bitter defence against the mercenaries of Giovanni Acuto (1364) and again in the armed repression of a plan by Pistoia who intended to make it surrender and then to assign it to the Lordship of Giovanni dell'Agnello (1368). The period of struggle for the territorial supremacy ceased, Vinci with its armed fortress remained solidly in the hands of Firenze, who periodically sent them an actual Castilian. Its fame was due above all, as is noted, to the birth of Leonardo, the artist and scientist genius who was born there in 1452, natural son of a Notary.

Places to visit:
Guidi Castle, constructed in the XII century, it was restored in 1940, The interior is the Seat of the Museo Leonardiano which collects the models of the instruments and the inventions made on the designs of Leonardo; and the Leonardiana Library research centre for the study of the grand artist-inventor.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit