Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

19 / 35


Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.687

The municipal territory of Minucciano in the Garfagnana, extends for 57 square kilometres in an area prevalently mountainous, underlying the crest which marks the watershed between the basins of the Serchio and the Magra.

Minucciano – which tradition has it takes its name from the consul Minucio Termo, occupied at the beginning of the II century B.C. in the war against the Liguri Apuani – is recorded since the times of the Franchi domination. Possession of the Malaspina from 875, in the personages of Opicino and Corrado, in 1270 it was sold to Gerardo, Count of Gragnana. Subjected to Lucca in 1287, in 1315 it returned to a Malaspina – Spinetta – expelled from there shortly after by Castruccio Castracani degli Antelminelli (1319). At whose death in 1328, the caste again fell into the hands of the Malaspina who in 1346, sold it to the Firenze republic. Occupied then by Pisa and successively by the Visconti di Milano, it again returned to Lucca in 1369. In 1431, at the time of the war for the domination of the Garfagnana, the Malaspina, allied with the Estensi managed to take it from Lucca who were occupied against the Fiorentini. It again passed to Lucca and again to the Malaspina, in 1447 Minucciano definitely became part of the Lucca dominion becoming Vicariate Seat. Gravely damaged in 1745 by the Spanish invasions commanded by Francesco III d’Este, it then followed the political events of Lucca until 1860.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 06790950486