Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

23 / 35

Piazza al Serchio

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.665

The territory of Piazza al Serchio in the Garfagnana, extends for 27.09 square kilometres, occupying in the most part a basin where the two source branches of the Serchio which run down from Monte Cavallo and Monte Sillano, join. The present day name of the municipality goes back to 1863, previously it was Pieve di Castelvecchio.

Piazza al Serchio was the dominion of the Bishops of Lucca, to whom it was confirmed by Emperors Enrico VI (1194), Ottone IV (1209) and Carlo IV (1355). The nearby localities of San Michele and Sala were instead given in feudal in 833 to the Counts of Castelvecchio, otherwise known as the Noble of San Michele. For centuries Piazza al Serchio remained under the political dominion of Lucca; then together with many other lands of the high Garfagnana, it went to the Estensi in 1446: and it remained under Modena until the Unity of Italy. In the last war during the German occupation the local population suffered continual reprisals, and round ups by the special departments.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 06790950486