Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

32 / 39


Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 3,068

The Municipal territory of Pratovecchio in Casentino, extends for 75,48 square kilometres from the ridge of the Tosco-Romagnolo Apennines to the valley bottom crossed by the Arno and rising almost to the Pass della Consuma. Feudal centre, became the Podesta Seat of Office, deprived of the district of Stia in 1872, it constituted itself in autonomous community, and in 1929 the community of Pratovecchio was suppressed and became part of the community of Pratovecchio-Stia. It assumed its present day aspect in 1934 when it was re-constituted as the original community with the surrender to Stia of the districts of Papiano and Ponte d’Arno and with the aggregation by Stia of the zone between the river Arno, the channels of Vicena and Asinaia and the Firenze province borders.

Pratovecchio had been feudal to the Counts Guidi da Battifolle since the XII century, as a result of a privilege by Arrigo VI in 1191, although, already more than a century earlier a Monastery of Pratovecchio was recorded around which the Castle was developed. In the first half of the XIV century, as ascertained in certain documents, it belonged to a branch of the Guidi di Dovadola who surrounded it with walls and channels ; but at least from 1367 it had returned, supposedly under the trust of the Fiorentina republic, in the possession of the Guidi di Poppi, who followed their destiny until 1440,  when Count Francesco was forced to abandon Poppi and the Casentino. Pratovecchio, became part of the Fiorentino territory and declared Podesta Seat of Office. Born in this territory were Paolo di Dono called Paolo Uccello, the great artist of the first Fiorentina renaissance (1397-1475), Cristoforo Landino (1424-1498), erudite humanist noted as annotator of the Divina Commedia, and Iacopo Landini called Iacopo del Casentino (1297-1358) artist. Close to the capital and overlooking it, are the ruins of the Castle of Romena, where the Alighieri lived in exile, guest of Count Guido Selvatico da Dovadola.

Places to visit :
Parish Church, erected in Piazza Landino, hosts two precious 1600 paintings, adjacent is the Closed Convent of the Camaldolesi Nuns, founded by the Counts Guidi in the XII century. Also in the vicinity of Piazza Landino is the 1500 Closed Monastery of the Domenicane Monks.
Maria a Poppiena. single nave church hosting works of art.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy