may well be the oldest church in Firenze, and archaeological finds dating
back to 418 seem to lend support to this hypothesis. Beneath the current
church, built in 1736, tombstones have been found with inscriptions in
Greek from the early Christian period.
Known as the church of the Grand Dukes because it lies along the path
of the Vasari Corridor, it has undergone numerous changes over the years;
the last one was carried out in 1736 by the architect Ruggieri, who enlarged
the old building and incorporated three chapels, one of which is the Capponi
chapel built by Brunelleschi in 1410.
Translated by Jeremy Carden