Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

8 / 39

Casciana Terme

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 3.228

The territory of Casciana Teme extends for 36,42 square kilometres on the internal hills of the Val d’Era. It was constituted in autonomous municipality in 1927 with the districts of Bagni di Casciana, Collemontanino, Parlascio and Sant’Erno, detached from the municipality of Lari. The new united administration was initially given the name of Bagni di Csciana.

The history of the capital, which in Medieval documentation appears often with the name of Bagno ad Acqua, was effectively interwoven with that of its thermal rising, already in use in Roman times and which in a description of the XV century appears channelled in an uncovered bath, twice the size of the municipal baths, with two entrances and large flat stones on the bottom. Castle and Seat of a parish church dedicated to Santa Maria ad Aquas, it was from the XI century in the possession of the Count Cadolingi family; it then passed under the power of the Bishops of Pisa and successively under the Pisa republic. Substantially immune to the conflicts and their relative devastations which characterised the history of most of the Toscani municipalities in the XIII–XV centuries, it was incorporated into the Fiorentino dominion in 1406. After the middle of the 1800s the urban centre received the present day systemisation through the interventions of Architect Giuseppe Poggi, who seems to have also been one of those who realised the thermal establishment.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489