Inhabitants in 1991: 36.301
The municipal territory of Cascina extends for 78,80 square kilometres
in the plain of Valdarno di Sotto. The present day extension had its origins
in the ancient Podesta office territory. With various modifications interposed
over the centuries. In 1776 its borders were regulated by the Leopoldini
decrees, in 1929 it even suffered a territorial subtraction in favour
of the municipalities of Calcinaia and Pontedera.
It grew up near the Arno, on the ancient road connecting Pisa to Firenze,
Cascina is recorded in documents from the middle of the VIII century,
which proved it belonged to the Bishops of Pisa. The first genesis of
urban nucleus is tied to the presence of the parish church of Santa Maria,
today seen in the beautiful architectonic form of Pisano style derived
from the restructuring brought about in the XII century. For its nature
of important “open village” in the Pisa territorial
system on the borders of the Fiorentino dominion it suffered continual
ransacking and devastation, among which, the ransacking by Lucca in
1295 stands out, with the demolition of the bell tower of the parish church.
In 1364 the Fiorentini had a clamorous victory here over the Pisa army.
It was on in 1385 that the government of the coastal city of Pisa began
the construction of an organised system of fortifications, articulated
in 14 towers, which made Cascina, together with Vicopisano, the defensive
stronghold of the eastern Pisa territory. This imposing works did not
serve in the end to avoid in 1406 the affirmation of the definitive Fiorentino
dominion over this vast community, who modelled its own Seat of Podesta
office over the territory of the ancient parish church. Even the proud
attempt for independence, rebelling itself on the side of Pisa, at the
end of the XV century had no effect.
|Places to visit:
Parish Church of Santa Maria, ancient building in pure Pisano-Romanic
style. The Basilica Plan interior contains a precious terracotta from
the beginning of the 1500 and other works.
S. Giovani, 1300 oratorio, has the interior frescoed by Martino
di Bartolomeo (1398).
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford