Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

9 / 20

Collesalvetti

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 15.087

The municipal territory extends for 107,58 square kilometres in the southern part of the alluvial plain of Valdarno di Sotto and along the slope of a hill. It became autonomous municipality in 1810 detaching itself from the Captaincy of Livorno and aggregating part of its territory to the community of Fauglia, Pisa, Livorno and Rosignano Marittimo.

It suffered a territorial reduction in 1910 when its district was assigned to the municipality of Rosignano Marittimo and again in 1931 with a district being aggregated to the municipality of Livorno. Originally it was a small hamlet defined simply Colle, to which was added – certainly from the XIII century, but maybe even earlier – the title of Salvetti, probably from the name of its owner. Placed under the dominion of Pisa, the community territory was devastated in 1343 by the troops of Luchino Visconti, at war with the Tyrrhenian republic. In 1406 Collesalvetti was absorbed into the Fiorentino State, entering then into the Grand Duchy of Toscana, inside the community of Fauglia first, under the Captaincy of Livorno after 1680. Apart from the brief period of French domination it remained thus until the Unity of Italy. It is the birth place of Pietro Fanfani (1815-1879) man of letters and philosopher.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489