Inhabitants in 1991: 860
in the high Valley of the river Taverone, on the spur of the Camporaghena
Alpe, the municipal territory extends for 54,67 square kilometres and
borders with the province of Reggio Emilia and Parma, from whom it is
separated by the Appenninica chain. It was constituted as autonomous
municipality in 1919.
A castle until the IX century under the Lordship of the Marquis Adalberti,
who was the originator of the Estensi and Malaspina families, Comano was
successively placed under the jurisdiction of the Abbey of Aulla, Conceded
in 1077 by Arrigo IV to the Estensi Marquises, it was ceded by them
with other Lunigiana centres to the Malaspina in 1202. In 1275 at the
division of the Malaspina in diverse branches it went by heredity to Gabriello
together with Fivizzano, from whom it depended for jurisdiction and administration,
and shared its fate until the Unity of Italy.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford