Inhabitants in 1991: 2.178
in the Val di Cecina on the incline underlying the crest of Poggio la
Croce, the municipal territory extends for 155,38 square kilometres.
It became autonomous community in 1774 following the Grand
Duchy laws. Montecatini suffered a territorial reduction in 1869 when
the district of Spedaletto was aggregated to Lajatico. In 1929 it took
in the district of Buriano, detached from Volterra.
A Medieval castle with the name of Villa di Monte Leone, Montecatini
was not mentioned until after the XI century. It was part of the parish
of Gabbreto and was under the jurisdiction of the Volterra Bishops. Towards
the middle of the XIV century the Bishop Filippo Belforti assured the
dominion to his own family, from whom it was taken by the Fiorentini
in 1361. Assigned to the Volterra department it remained under their administration
until 1472 when it passed under the direct dominion of the Fiorentina
republic, together with all the Volterra county. From then on Montecatini
followed the events of the Grand Duchy’s Fiorentino State until
the Unity of Italy.
|Places to visit:
The Fortress, built in the XII century and dominated by the
very high tower.
Palazzo Pretoria, a Medieval establishment remodelled over
the centuries. It is beautified by a little portico.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford