Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

34 / 36

Sovicille

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 7.640

The municipal territory of Sovicille extends for 143,76 square kilometres between the Valle del Merse and the eastern spur of the Sienahills. Free municipality then Vicariate Seat.

The Sovicille (Sufficillum) castle on the border between the Siena Diocese and that of Volterra, is recorded, from 1004 until the middle of the XII century, as among the possession of the Abbey of Serena, while at the end of the XII century it resulted as being directly among the assets of the Siena Episcopate. Towards 1240 Sovicille was however organised in municipality with its own statutes and under the jurisdiction of the Siena republic; It became from 1251 to 1274 Lordship of certain nobles of the area, in 1293 there was a new drafting of the municipal statutes; attacked in 1313 by the Imperial troops of Arrigo VII and again in 1333 by the Pisa army, in the middle of the 1300s Sovicille and the surrounding territory seemed in grave decline, brought about also by the disruption of the water system in the plain. First in 1356 and again in 1391 (after it had been restored in 1365) the castle was attacked in vain by Firenze at war with Siena; new attacks (after new reconstructions) were suffered in XV century until the devastation in the war for the conquest of Siena in the middle of the 1500s, during which near Sovicille a contingent of the Mediceo army was defeated by Bentivoglio, but shortly after, in revenge, the town was partly devastated.

Places to visit:
S. Lorenzo, Medieval parish church with a bell tower adapted from an ancient tower.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489