Inhabitants in 1991: 1.374
municipal territory of Trequanda extends for 64,10 square kilometres between
the plain and the hill which divided the Val di Chiana from the Valley
of the river Asso. Feudal centre, it became community Seat in 1777
with the Leopoldina regulations. In 1833 Castelmuzio was united to its
territory having belonged to Pienze while in 1877 the district of Montisi
was detached and aggregated to the municipality of San Giovanni d’Asso.
Trequanda was an important control point on the road which from Siena
reached Chiusi via Asciano; recorded for the first time in a document
from the end of the XII century, at the beginning of the 1200s
it was the possession of the Scialenga Counts; it was part of the
Ghibellino formation becoming the collection centre for the rebels to
the Guelfo government of Siena in 1273 and 1289 for this it risked being
destroyed by Siena which in 1301 sold the castle to the merchant Musciatto
Franzesi for 18,000 lire.
Returned under the Siena dominion a few years later, in 1318 Trequanda
figured as possession of the Tolomei family. In 1553 it was forced
to surrender to the Imperial army and become part of the Medico State.
|Places to visit:
S. Pietro e Andrea, church founded in the 1200s, has a checked
façade of black and white stone, the interior preserves diverse
1400s works of art.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford