Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

19 / 39

Laterina

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 3,310

The Municipal territory of Laterina in the Valdarno Superiore, extends for 24,01square kilometres, partly on the plain and partly hilly. In Roman times it was crossed by variants of the Via Cassia and in the Medieval times by the Arezzo Strada Maestra, it was a feudal centre, then a Podesta office, and became Seat of the community in 1774.

Laterina, at least in the first years of the XI century, was a feudal of Ubertini di Arezzo. Because of its strategic position it became the base for the departure of the raids by Arezzo’s Ghibellini in the Valdarno, it was occupied and policed by the Fiorentini in 1288 who armed it as a stronghold. In 1304 the Ubertini returned to power who, helped by both the Arezzo militia and the gang of the Pazzi del Valdarno, had besieged and conquered the castle. Destroyed in 1326 by Guido Tarlati ; in 1336 when he became elected Bishop of Arezzo, Buoso degli Ubertini consigned Laterina to the Fiorentini, who prudently rebuilt the stronghold. An attempt to re-conquer it by the Tarlati was repressed in 1347, and in 1384 it became a definitive possession of the Fiorentina republic.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit