Inhabitants in 1991: 9.158
municipal territory of Montagnoso extends for 16,67 square kilometres
between the sea and the Apuane, “last land” of the low Lunigiana.
Ancient Lords castle, in 1938 the municipality was suppressed and
became part, with Massa and Carrara, of the new community of Apuania,
it was reconstituted in March 1946.
The Castellum Aginulfi, positioned on the hill near the present day
centre, considered itself the first historic nucleus of Montignoso. Considered
by the Byzantines as a point of great strategic importance conquered
by Longobardo Rotari in the VII century, other than being restructured
it became a stable Seat of Noble Guilds. Toward the year one thousand,
the Bishop of Luni had the jurisdiction over one third of the castle.
In XIII century Montignoso passed under the dominion of a branch of the
Lords of Vallecchia and Corvaia, who established themselves in the fortress
and took the name of Nobles of the Castle. But the disputes among
the powerful neighbours (Pisa, Lucca, Genova, Firenze) whose influence
they could not escape, constituted the real driving force of the political
events of Montignoso. Finally, with the decline of Pisa, it came under
the dominion of Lucca in the second half of the XIII century, the community
was annexed to the Vicariate of Pietrasanta. The jurisdiction of
Lucca over Montignoso lasted even when Pietrasanta, in 1514, passed to
the Fiorentini and, if one makes an exception of a bloody contrast with
Massa in 1538, Montigonos’s history did not see any particular turbulence
until the advent of the Napoleonic armies. The French, on the other hand
left it under the government of the Lucca Princes Baciocchi, to whom they
owed the land reclaims of the marshes which extended along the
most part of the coast. In 1847 the community passed to the Estensi
and remained under them, despite the peoples discontent, until 1859.
Among the illustrious personages of Montignoso is the diplomat and politician
Carlo Sforza (1872-1952).
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford